East 119 bw 2nd 3rd May 11 1919 nyplRainy day street photo: East 119th Street and 2nd Avenue, looking toward the 3rd Avenue elevated. May 11, 1919

Photo source: NYPL Digital Gallery

Advertisements

5 Comments on “A Rainy Day in Vintage East Harlem-Another Great Find! A window into East Harlem history, through vintage photos.”

1. Josephine (Pappadio) Giuffrida says:

I lived on 108th street between 2nd and 3rd till I was 12. Love all the memories.I went to St. Ann’s does anyone have any pics

• Jack Polidoro says:

Josephine, my name is Jack and I went to St. Ann’s also in the 50s. Go on to goggle and type in 310 east 110th street and up comes the picture.

2. cathy marin says:

I lived on 119 between 1st and 2nd and this is not what it looked like in 1960.

• Angela says:

Ok, I’ve done my homework on these photos. After driving down East 119th Street, I realized that the vintage photos from the link I posted, had the wrong location. I suspected that it was between 2nd and 3rd, not 1st and 2nd, and I was right. So now it is up to me to correctly map the location and dates of these 2 photos. Having researched these photos to their original database, the nypl digital archives, the year for both of these photos is 1919. I will correctly state the exact dates on the photos that I posted. Thanks for your input, Cathy. I enjoyed doing the detective work!

3. Angela says:

Reblogged this on Italian Harlem and commented:

East 119th Street, b/w 2nd and 3rd Avenue. May 11th 1919.