THE BEAUTIFUL BRIDES of ITALIAN HARLEM!

My aspiration to one day wear a glorious white wedding dress, started way back in the late 1960’s-early 1970’s. In 1966, my family moved out of East Harlem, and settled up in the Bronx. When I was a little girl, living in City Island, we lived close by to a catering hall, known then as The Lido. On the weekends, the limousines would roll up in front of the Lido, and, along with them, came the beautiful brides! I was so in awe of these beautiful, “princess-like” women! They looked as if they were floating on air! I thought to myself, how wonderful it must be to actually be a bride! Well, I guess that’s normal for little girls, right? I mean, looking forward to one’s wedding day, and the opportunity to look like a true princess, is something that most girls dream about…whether in secret or not! Ha! 🙂

Ok, fast forward to this past month! I was thinking about how nice it would be to commemorate the beautiful brides that once lived in East Harlem, during a time when it was primarily an Italian community. I thought I would dedicate a page to this theme, but for now, I will post on my main page for all my readers to see. I noticed that when I post on one of the dozen other pages that I have on this website, my subscribers do not receive an email notification about the new post. But, when I post on my main page- which is this one- all of my subscribers receive news about the post! So, after I post the photo gallery of gorgeous East Harlem brides, I will create a special page, in which I can update it whenever someone shares bridal photos with me. Having said that, if you have a scanned, high-definition vintage wedding photo, or photos, of either yourself, or relatives that once lived in East Harlem-when they got married, do send them to me! Please don’t send me a “photo of a photo,” as the definition will be compromised, and it won’t do the photo justice. Oh… and although I didn’t get married when I lived in the old neighborhood, I thought I’d add my wedding photo in the mix! Enjoy! My email is italianharlem@gmail.com

Without further ado, here come the brides!!! 🙂

10 Comments on “THE BEAUTIFUL BRIDES of ITALIAN HARLEM!”

1. Theresa Ann Passarelli says:

That was absolutely beautiful!♡ Thank you for sharing!♡

2. Very cool. I have some pictures of my mother and father cira 1940 and my grand parents at their 50th wedding.

3. Sofia Makris says:

I BELIEVE THAT IS MY AUNT NICKY WITH THE LACE ON THE BOTTOM IN LAYERS MAY GOD REST HER SOUL WOW

• Angela Bella says:

Yes! It sure is! I always admired this photo of Nicky! She told me that it was taken in Greece. She said that the gown was rented! I couldn’t believe that you could actually rent a gown that beautiful! Her and Louie were married in Greece.

4. JoAnn Longo says:

These pictures are so beautiful! Even in the older ones you can see how “all out” Italians have gone, and still do for their weddings!!

5. ed Fiorella says:

Do you remember the football weddings. Ed Fiorella

6. nancy says:

Loved looking at these photos. Keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone

7. Edward Filardo says:

Una que bella del altro!!!!!

8. Really enjoyed this feature. My grandfather moved to East Harlem right after he emigrated to America from San Vincenzo in Calabria in 1921. I know very little about Italian Harlem and this gave me a lovely taste. I write a lot about Italian American life in the 1930s-1960s in my novels “The El Trilogy” so this piece really touched me.